After two remote VMworld (2020 – 2021) due to Corona pandemic travel restrictions, I could not be more excited to be going to Barcelona and speaking at VMware Explore 2022 and meeting with customers and partners from all over Europe. At the end, Explore (aka VMworld) is all about networking with the rest of the vCommunity, announcing exciting news, attending cool technical/non-technical sessions, collecting gadgets/stickers and of course Explore closing party.
With 35+ hours of technology and transformation education, training, and executive insights, you will have vast opportunities to gain actionable value through:
- Access to 400+ sessions that will enable you to scale cloud-native platform operations, accelerate cloud transformation, and empower and secure the hybrid workforce.
- Practical insights and best-practices from customers who’ve cracked the code on addressing challenges like the ones you face.
- Face time with top experts with tips to improve use of existing solutions and roadmaps on how to advance your capabilities to conquer new business requirements.
- Opportunities to interact hands-on with the latest multi-cloud solutions; accompanied by product experts right there ready to assist.
- Join with the Cross-Cloud services and open-source communities while engaging with an extensive ecosystem of 90% of the top cloud partners.
In this blog post, I will share some tips to prepare for VMware Explore EU in terms of sessions planning and my own personal sessions recommendations. In addition, I will share some logistics tips and tricks to make your stay in Barcelona and attending Explore efficient and relaxing.
What I usually recommend for anyone going to such huge event is to plan ahead which sessions he/she is interested to attend. The content offered in VMware Explore is very rich in quality and quantity and if you do not prepare your travel and session attendance ahead, you will get easily distracted and might end up not efficiently making use of your time.
In the below paragraphs I will share with you some handy tips and my own personal sessions recommendations (focusing on Application modernisation, networking and security) so you can make the best out of your Explore experience.
Planning your travel and stay in Barcelona during Explore 22
Registration for the event
Currently the registration fee is €1,475 till 6th of November 2022 (VMware Explore Pricing) if you are traveling with a group of 5+ or VMUG member then you get extra discount.
The registration fee does not include your travel and accommodation, but besides giving you admittance to the event, registration fee also allows you to add on VMware Certified Professional (VCP) and VMware Certified Advanced Professional (VCAP) certification exam vouchers during registration at a 50% discount (exams must be taken onsite during VMware Explore Europe).
VMware Explore 2022 Barcelona takes place in
Fira Barcelona Gran Via
Carrer del Foc 10
Transportation from Airport and to/from the event venue
Luckily, Uber is back in business in Barcelona since the 16th of March this year so moving around should be bit easier than back in 2019. If you have been to VMworld 2019 in Barcelona then you would definitely remember the extreme long queues in front of the venue to get a taxi, in addition to traveling back to your hotel during the rush hour of Barcelona, which is not very pleasant.
The above is very important to consider, especially if you plan on attending any after hours parties/events that take place after Explore day schedule ends (around 6:00 pm).
Estimate cost is 25 – 30 euros from airport to hotel, and about 10 – 15 euros taxi from hotel to Explore venue.
Public transport is also a great way to reach VMware Explore, from the event registration desk you can get a free 10 ride card.
Planning your sessions
If you are not aware already, VMware has published Explore EU content catalog along with the week schedule and other activities. Below is some interesting links that will help you prepare your visit:
- VMware Explore EU 2022 Agenda
- VMware Explore Essential Activities
- VMware Explore 2022 Contents Catalog
Application Modernisation sessions
- Securing and Monitoring Kubernetes Clusters with VMware Antrea, NSX, and vRealize Network Insight [KUBB1177EUR] <– This is the session I am presenting (you have to be there :))
- How to Be Successful at Modernising Apps and Data, and the Adoption of Cloud [CNAB2113EUR]
- Securing Containers in Production: The SOC Point Of View [KUBD2341EUR]
- The Simplicity of Kubernetes Cluster Extensibility Using Tanzu Packages [KUBB2532EUR]
- What Is Cloud Native, Anyway? [CNAB2015EUR]
- Achieving High Availability for Workloads Using Zones in Tanzu Kubernetes Grid 2.0 [KUBB2716EUR]
- Acquiring Practical Cloud Native, Kubernetes and Open Source Skills [OSB1812EUR]
- Allianz Hybrid Cloud Services: Aria Automation for DevOps at Scale [CMB4053EUR]
- Enabling Developer Agility with Tanzu at Statistics Netherlands (CBS) [CNAB2866EUR]
- Enterprise Management of Your Multi-Cloud Solution Using VMware Tanzu Mission Control [DOSB2683EUR]
Networking and Security
- Fully Automated East-West Firewall in VCF4 using Platform Inherent Toolings [SECB2115EUR]
- Improving Security in the Finance Industry: Simplifying Operations with NSX [NETB1997EUR]
- Platform and Application Security with NSX, Antrea and Service Mesh [DOSB3014EUR]
- Supercharge the Implementation of Micro-Segmentation with NSX Intelligence [NETB2791EUR]
- VMware SASE: What’s New and What’s Next [EUSB1892EUR]
- Zero Trust Security and Compliance for Modern Apps [NETB2528EUR]
- Achieving Perfect Balance: How VMware IT Solved Load Balancing Challenges [EUSB1752EUR]
- A Light in the Darknet: Stopping Cyberthreats with SASE [CEIB1234EUR]
- Designing a Software Defined Network for Service Providers using VMware NSX [NETB2002EUR]
Frequently Asked Questions
VMware has also a FAQ page for Explore Europe which I would recommend visiting before you start your booking for the even.
I hope to see you all in Barcelona!